Why I Haven't Kept in TouchDec 09, 2020
It’s been a difficult year for many families - and I know that this holiday season may feel heavy for you, and many others, being unable to celebrate with loved ones. This year will be a year that will go down in history, and hold a place in our hearts.
This brings me to the heart of this message to you, my trusted clients, friends and family. I haven’t kept in touch as much as I used to. I’d love to say it’s because I’ve been overly busy with nutrition consultations, and flowing in abundance at work. In all honesty and transparency, I’ve been spending the time and energy that I have at home with my young children, giving them the best start possible, homeschooling, and also doing some continuing education myself.
The other part of the reason I haven’t been writing as much lately is that I also go through my own moments of overwhelm about the strange times we are living in, and the vulnerability I feel for my own family. Every challenge has an important lesson to decode. I’ve been decoding a lot of lessons in the past couple of years, after we lost our home and retreat center to a hurricane, relocated countries, only to face the events of current times. Many of us have faced uncertainties beyond what we’ve ever experienced in our lifetime.
I’ve slowly been transitioning to a virtual space, focussing on new and innovative ways to connect with you, while also bringing you incredible value, and supporting you in building your vitality and creating healing for your family.
With that said, I am excited to introduce and invite you to my new supplement dispensary (click link for more info), and to share my latest stories and recipes. The following are some of the wellness building practices I’ve placed high on my priority list for this season:
- Time outside, in full-spectrum light (especially in wintertime); for the darkest months, I use a therapy lamp (lightbox) at 10,000 Lux for 30 minutes, twice per day
- A balanced diet from whole natural foods; organic and local as much as possible, with vitamin D rich foods emphasized
- Game nights and quality playtime with loved ones; immediate family for the time being
- Deep breathing (with focus on the exhale) and relaxation every day (yoga, meditation, walks with my dog, time in nature) to get my body into rest and digest mode (parasympathetic nervous system); also emphasized in homeschooling to practice coping strategies with my children
- Cold water on my face and forehead whenever I feel overwhelmed or anxious; helps to activate the mammalian dive reflex and stimulate the vagus nerve (which is calming)
- Avoid too much time on social media or mainstream news
- Detach from fear of impermanence; I remind myself that nothing is forever, and that’s the process of life. If we detach, we are free
- Smile; even if I’m having a tough day, I try to smile as this sends messages to the brain and tricks it to send “happy chemicals” to change thoughts and sensations
- Avoid setting big expectations; expectations are just pre-meditated disappointment; we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment (despair, grief) when all of our good plans don’t happen, especially if we had many grandiose expectations
- Baths with Epson salt, hydrotherapy (cold-hot water) in the shower; to support the adrenals (stress glands) and the body’s detoxification channels; a sauna is also great if you have access to one
- Time with children; they help us live in the present moment; if we are living in the past, or anticipated future, we aren’t allowing space for the creation of a new, more abundant future
- Good sleep hygiene; bed before 10-11 pm, screens shut off 1-2 hrs before bed, sleep in a cool, dark room, and upon waking up, I expose myself to full-spectrum light to promote a healthy circadian rhythm (melatonin and serotonin hormone regulation)
- Movement; every day, preferably in the morning, like yoga, weight lifting, running, rebounding or walking; the ideal is to move throughout the day, as opposed to only one isolated “workout”; although I do those along with movement
- Service to others; it’s how we are fundamentally wired; when helping someone else we get out of our head and into our heart, taken away from our own concerns - a win-win antidote and “feel good” for you and those who are on the receiving end
- Dance parties with my children, or more specifically, ecstatic dance and myofascial unwinding; conscious movement is helpful to release stored energy, trauma and pain from the body
I hope that some of these practices inspire you, and help you to continue moving forward in a positive manner, during these uncertain times. In no way do I ever get the chance to practice all of these every day, but I certainly make it a priority to weave as many as I can within a week, which often means my children are doing it along with me! I am holding you all in my thoughts and meditations. May you and your loved ones be blessed with health, safety, happiness, security, and eventually, true, in-person community!
Looking to source quality foods, supplements, and nontoxic home products? This vetted list put together by Beyond Vitality can help!
JOIN THE COMMUNITY
I would love the chance to support you further and connect with you on a deeper and more personal level.
I’ll share new offerings, recipes, updated health solutions, and behind-the-scenes snippets…
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.